Sweet Potato, Turnip and Sausage Soup
Posted under Soups
- 2 cups diced sweet potato (2 medium)
- 2 cups diced turnip root (4 medium)
- 2 cups chopped turnip greens
- 1/2 lb Cutrer’s smoked sausage cubed
- 2 cups chopped green onion
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 5 cups of water
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- Add water to a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove green tops (leave on stems for easy root peeling) from turnip roots and soak tops in water in a bowl or the sink to remove dirt.
- Using a potato peeler, peel turnips until dirty skin is removed. Cut off skinny end and green stem end. Cut in half and then three strips before dicing into medium pieces. Add to the pot of water.
- Rinse and peel sweet potatoes. Cut them in half, then each half into strips and dice into medium pieces and add to the pot.
- Cut sausage in half long-wise before slicing thin and add to the pot. Add seasoning and chicken stock. Let boil for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and chop turnip greens and green onion and add to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.