1. Cut squash into 1/2 inch thick slices. Cut wider end slices in half for even cooking.
2. Heat skillet over medium heat.
3. Add whole slices of bacon to hot skillet. While the bacon is cooking, dice the onion. The bacon should cook about 2.5 minutes per side.
*To dice an onion, cut both ends off of the onion, the place the onion vertically on the flat end and cut it in half. Peel off the skin and the make 1/2 inch cuts along the widest half. Then cut the strips
horizontally to make the diced cut.*
4. Take out the bacon and place in a paper towel. Add the diced onion to the bacon fat and stir for 2 minutes or until onion has color and is softer.
5. Add the squash, salt and pepper and half of the water. Stir, then top the dish.
6. Chop sage and bacon and add it to the skillet. Stir the dish and add in remaining water if needed. (If there is no liquid in the pan.) Lower heat and let cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Turn off heat and add additional salt and pepper if desired and serve.