Rougarou Root Veggie Latkes
1. Using a hand grater or a food processor with a julienne grater attachment, grate your root vegetables and
tubers. (I like to leave the skins on my potatoes and sweet potatoes–many nutrients in the skin. Peel
2. Either grate or slice the onion
3. Place the grated veggies and onion in a nut bag to strain excess water, or press with a paper towel in a
4. In a large bowl, combine veggies, eggs, tapioca starch, Rougarou spice blend, baking powder, salt, and
pepper, and stir well.
5. In a large skillet, bring your oil of choice to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat (I recommend a high
smoke point oil like avocado, palm, or coconut oil)
6. Using a quarter cup measure, scoop out a portion of the mixture, form into a ball with your hands, and
place gently into the oil. Use a spatula to press the mixture into a patty. Continue making patties and
place in the pan as space allows (without crowding them).
7. Cook the latkes until browned, crisp, and cooked through (about 5 minutes on each side). Mind the heat on
the oil so that the latkes do not burn.
8. You can make the latkes smaller (using about 2 tbsp per latke) to yield more latkes.
Cashew Sour Cream
1. Drain and rinse soaked cashews.
2. Place all ingredients in blender (start with half the water).
3. Blend until smooth, adding water until desired consistency has been achieved.
4. Add additional salt and lemon juice to taste.
Honey Crumble Cornbread
Prepare Honey Crumble as directed on packaging. You may want to make a thinner cornbread by using a larger pan
and cooking for a shorter amount of time.
Plate your Latkes:
Place a square of Honey Crumble cornbread on your plate, spread with pepper jelly of choice, top with a
latke, and garnish the small tower with a dollop of sour “cream”