For the salad
1. Marinate shrimp using ingredients and directions below.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a slight boil.
3. Prepare a large bowl with ice water to stop the cooking of the kale.
4. Add whole kale leaves to hot water for 30-45 seconds. This will help soften the kale and further clean.
5. Remove from hot water and add kale to ice water.
6. Chop lettuce into large ribbons with a 2 to a 2 and a half inch chop.
7. Strain kale and pat dry with a paper towel. Add lettuce to a serving bowl and place kale on the cutting board to cut off stems and cut in ribbons like lettuce, before adding to the bowl.
8. Make fig dressing with ingredients and directions below. Add fig dressing to greens and toss the salad. Make sure to coat greens evenly in the dressing.
9. Place a pan over medium heat and toast pecans for 2 minutes. Be sure to stir and be careful not to burn them. Remove and add to a small bowl.
10. Wipe the pan and turn up heat slightly to medium high.
11. Add the marinated shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove skillet from heat to prevent overcooking. (Remove from fridge 5 minutes before cooking to knock off the chill.)
12. Plate mixed greens, crumble on a teaspoon or so of the goat cheese, then a teaspoon of the pecans and add shrimp last to the plate.
For the Shrimp Marinade
1. Put on gloves.
2. Roll down sides of Ziploc bag so that the tips are tucked under.
3. Add shrimp and other ingredients to bag.
4. Roll up sides of Ziploc bag and seal it. Massage ingredients into shrimp gently and put in the fridge for later use.
For the Fig Dressing
1. Mince and chop figs until it becomes almost like a paste. Add to a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly whisk in olive oil and mix until thick and smooth.
3. Season with salt and pepper and whisky to incorporate fully.