- 1 green onion, finely minced to make about 2 packed tablespoons
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice (or a blend of 3 tablespoons orange juice and 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons sugar cane syrup (or honey)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Whisk together the green onion, grapefruit juice, cane syrup, cayenne and sea salt in a bowl or glass measuring cup and let sit a few minutes to mellow the green onion. Gradually drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly to blend. Serve over your choice of salad greens, garnished with roasted pecans and grapefruit supremes or strawberries.
Green onions, the year-round confetti as popular as Mardi Gras beads are a new staple for me. Steeping them first in citrus tames the burn and adds depth and texture to a quick vinaigrette. Choose your favorite greens from the Farmer’s Market, add jewel-like citrus supremes or sliced fresh strawberries and some crunchy pecans for an unforgettable salad.